ACS Statement of Capability
From our head office in Dorset on the south coast of England, we have provided independent professional materials testing and consultancy services to the building, waste, construction and civil engineering industries since 1987. Over the past 30 years, ACS has steadily expanded and developed, now providing a comprehensive UKAS accredited sampling, site testing and laboratory testing service for a wide range of materials, which ACS can translate into interpretive reports to meet our Client’s needs. Our team’s decades of expertise are entirely portable and can be relocated as required.
ACS provide a seamless all-in-one service for physical and chemical laboratory testing to provide certification and reporting for the quality assurance of construction materials as well as to provide information for site investigations, geotechnical and contaminated land assessments, all covered by our professional indemnity insurance. Our mission at ACS is to deliver high quality testing of construction materials for quality assurance purposes and test for substances that may be harmful to health, property and our environment, all the while offering a first-class professional service tailored to our Client’s requirements.
ACS are also members of the following professional bodies:
At ACS Group of Companies, we offer our clients a full start to finish professional independent quality assured testing service supported by our partners. Utilising our physical material testing laboratory and our chemical analysis laboratory, we are able to offer our clients a unique one stop shop service when it comes to their material testing requirements.
We test a wide range of materials, mainly including natural and recycled aggregates, bituminous materials, fresh and hardened concrete, soils, stabilised materials, natural stone and ground/surface waters. Our experienced staff will ensure that your testing requirements are clearly understood, efficiently carried out and accurately reported.
WHO USES OUR SPECIALIST SERVICES
ACS offer a comprehensive range of professional On-Site Testing, all carried out by our fully trained Site Technicians. We provide our clients with a UKAS Accredited sampling of materials including Aggregates, Bituminous, Concrete, Soils and Water Monitoring as well as a wide range of In-Situ testing on each of these materials.
We also offer a range of on-site Bituminous Testing (further details on request)
ACS Testing can provide custom site laboratories built to respond to our Clients project needs ranging from small portable containerised laboratories to full replicants of our main Poole laboratory.
ACS have deployed site laboratories worldwide, with projects including Pavement Contracts, Military Airbase Projects, Mining Projects and Flood Alleviation Schemes. Tests carried out in the Site Laboratories are UKAS Accredited and include testing of a range of materials including Aggregates, Bituminous, Concrete, Soils and Waters.
One of the main benefits of our Site Laboratories is that it allows material testing to be carried out rapidly. Without transport time, results become available quicker which give our clients immediate access to an accredited independent testing service to enable fast decisions to be made regarding material compliance and use on site.
|What we supply on an On-Site testing laboratory;||Benefits of On-Site testing laboratories;|
|• Rapid deployment by UKAS “Extension to Scope”|
• Lab services
• On-site testing
• Fully equipped laboratory
• Accredited training methods for technicians, supervisors and managers
• Dedicated resources
• Complete on-site reporting and certification of results
|• Immediate access to expert technical materials testing resources|
• No time delays between sampling and laboratory by removing transport.
• Real time consultancy on materials modification due to changes in weather conditions and host materials on site.
• Open facilities which can be visited by construction and design partners to witness testing at any time.
SITE LABORATORY CASE STUDIES
ENVIRONMENTAL TESTING CHEMICAL LABORATORY
Established in November 2006 to meet the increasing demands of the Environment Agency and Construction Industry to understand the impacts of waste and materials on the environment; ACS Environmental took its place within the industry to analyse a wide range of chemical elements typically found in environmental and construction materials. Working in conjunction with ACS Testing, ACS Environmental has established, in our purpose-built laboratory, state of the art preparation, chemical and analytical sections. These have been designed and developed to the very highest standards with the assistance of internationally renowned equipment manufacturers and expert consultants. In designing the laboratory, we considered future development and expansion to ensure that we are able keep up-to-date of the needs of our customers and meet the demand of society to investigate the chemical impacts on the environment to safeguard our future.
ACS Environmental Ltd is a UKAS accredited laboratory (certificate number 4150) and holds certification to MCERTS standards for a selection of analytical methods as detailed on our schedule of accreditation. We have maintained accreditation to BS EN ISO/IEC 17025:2017 for over ten years.
We offer an in-house analytical testing service to provide impartial and accurate results for the following determinands;
• Metals and Metalloids
• Petroleum hydrocarbons (total, banded and speciated (aliphatic/aromatic))
• Polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH)
• Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB)
• Anions (sulphate, chloride, fluoride, nitrate, nitrite, bromide and phosphate)
• pH & conductivity
• Loss on ignition
• Acid Soluble Sulphate / Chloride
• Organic carbon (total and dissolved)
• Semi volatile organic compounds (SVOC)
• Soil organic matter content
• Laboratory prepared leachate preparation and analysis
• Topsoil Quality Analysis (BS 3882:2015)
MATERIALS, MINERALS, WASTE AND LANDFILL CONSULTANCY SERVICES
ACS offers clients a comprehensive range of professional services to bring together the information of physical properties and chemical testing. Providing consultancy services to the construction, quarrying & waste industries. ACS’s Consultancy services will cater for your site-specific requirements and are able to oversee all aspects of site work. Our consultancy services can be deployed directly to your site through a Satellite Laboratory or Site Laboratory.
ACS’s consultancy services include amongst others:
• Quality compliance and technical consultancy services for trial mixes and certification of Concrete Plants/Mixers
• Material classification consultancy to determine Series 600 Classes which the material can obtain including advice on the suitability of material for addition of binders to produce a stabilised material.
• Provide materials movement management expertise to either act as the materials manager or provide dedicated support to the materials manager.
• Landfill investigation and advice on excavation and relocation including planning, environmental permitting, design, project management and construction quality assurance (CQA).
• A range of services in respect to resource evaluation and minerals safeguarding. We are currently involved in negotiating the full or partial set-aside of mineral safeguarding policies on a number of sites.
• Full waste classification advice in accordance with current best practice including “Guidance on the classification and assessment of waste – WM3” and the “The Landfill Directive” to provide rapid classification advice for the disposal of waste soils and materials from construction sites. In the addition to the above, ACS are able to provide full supporting in the production and implementation of construction waste management plans.
• We can produce, in the form of data and diagrams, earthwork material movement charts and compare with isopachyte drawings to provide interpretation and progress reports.
• The ACS Geo-science team are able to quickly and efficiently produce high quality reports tailored to your exact needs; including desk studies, contaminated land and geotechnical site investigations, borehole drilling, multi-level monitoring well installation; ground gas and groundwater monitoring, quantitative risk assessments, design of remediation schemes and validation sampling and reporting.